May 9, 2009

    Magnetism of Water

  When I saw Spaulding Gray in NY, Jackie Onassis and her date were sitting two rows ahead. It was somewhat unnerving to be watching Gray, but seeing Onassis at the same time...he was so intense, and she was so famous. Because of where she sat, I saw that her hair was like a helmet in the back, a steep pyramid that forbade assault on the summit.
  Meanwhile, everything Spaulding Gray said opened him to us. He had no protection except his desk.
  I felt awful when he died by jumping off the ferry. Many times I'd ridden that ferry too, up in the front where the water is pushed away by the ferry so forcefully and noisily that it looks like pale green whipped cream. [Just add eggs and beat slowly.]
  I think how easy it would be to just jump in. How hard it would be not to.
  That's water for you. Swimming to Cambodia? or to Staten Island? or back home?

No comments: