May 20, 2017

I AM WAITING TO BE A CHILD AGAIN




I am waiting to be a child again
I am waiting to know if it is possible to be
               a child when you’re old
I am waiting to find out just what it is about
               children that I want to be again. 
I am waiting to know if being old is or isn’t
               another part of being a child.
I am waiting to eat the things I loved as a child
I am waiting for rice pudding and corn on the cob            
               and porkchops on Sundays
I am waiting to swallow carefully, the way I did
          as a child
to feel the food going down
I am waiting to be told, don’t talk 
          with your mouth full
I am waiting to write with my mouth full
I am waiting to sign my name to whatever document I 
          have to sign
to be a child again
I am waiting to be stricken with the diseases 
          of old age
I am waiting to know if they are better or worse 
          than measles, mumps and broken arms
I am waiting to be the parent to my own childhood 
     and
I am waiting to be the child to my own parenting 
     because
I am waiting to explore what lies beneath 
          the vantage point of
seven decades done with and
I am waiting to see what the view from the top is 
          because maybe childhood was the bottom?
I am waiting to find out if childhood was the top
I am waiting to wear no shoes
I am waiting to wipe my nose on my sleeve
I am waiting to scribble drawings on the wall
I am waiting to sing made-up songs
I am waiting to lie in bed and not nap 
     but 
          watch the curtains move
I am waiting for the leaping zebras and tigers to 
          jump over my bed
I am waiting to play hopscotch and jump rope again 
and do them well
 instead of always losing
I am waiting to see my old friends and 
          put my right foot in and turn it
       all about.
Turn it all about, turn it all about.


~  March 26, 2013 to use anaphora

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahmed, I hope you liked it. I don't know what you wrote. Linda

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

HooRayGun! sez RonRaygun.
You definitely shall be.
In Seventh-Heaven, we will
ALL be children.
Who's older than God?
God bless you.
Cya...
Love ya...

Mike Viney said...

Tribute to Linda Campbell Franklin

Books map the mind's path for the young college person training to be an adult.
Three Centuries of one book, not assigned, stir the slumber of the child inside the adult.
The child's curiosity is awakened to the challenges of separating, blending, and transforming.
Challenges met by past imaginations of many turned into the material.
A landscape of mechanistic creativity emerges for the child explorer with paths that last a lifetime.

With gratitude,

Mike Viney